About Springwood Taxis
The original Springwood taxi company
Springwood Taxi have been in continuous operation since 1943.
History of Springwood Taxis:
In 1943 the original owners of 4 taxis plates were F. David and E.J. Wiggins. They operated under the name of Springwood Taxis from the garage situated on the site of the old Oxley’s Pharmacy.
Some time before 1959 the plates were sold to Jack Tidswell and then sold again to Stan John & Jack Townsend.
In 1959/60 they were sold to Reg Smith.
In 1966 when the plates were sold to Ron Jones the name was changed to “Springwood Taxi Radio Control”. At this point the cars were allocated radio call numbers:
- TC3540 – 58
- TC3537 – 51
- TC3606 – 54
- TC3153 – 59
On 11/10/1978 TC3540 & TC3537 were sold to Dudley Brown and TC3606 & TC3153 were sold to Alan Fuller.
The history of the cars from that date is as follows:
TC3540 (58): Dudley Brown sold to Peter Rixon. Peter Rixon left the Springwood Taxi Network in 1999. Peter Rixon sold to Bert Kaub who operated the taxi as an independent (ie no network). Bert died and his wife Helga continues to operate the taxi as an independent.
TC3537 (51): Dudley Brown sold to Norm Ryan who sold to Bill Parsons. In 1986 Bill Parsons then sold to Bob Roach and 31/08/1994 Bob Roach sold to John Williams. John died on 22/01/2015 and his wife Jillian continues to operate the taxi as a part of the Springwood Taxis Network.
TC3606 (54): Alan Fuller sold to Dave Croaker who sold to Peter Gibson. In 1988 Peter Gibson sold to Peter Thomas who sold to Peter Tennant in 1992. In 2018 Peter Tennant sold to Jillian Williams and the plate continues to operate as a part of the Springwood Taxi Network.
TC3153 (59): Alan Fuller sold to Dave Croaker who sold to Jeff O’Shea in 1983. In 1991 Jeff O’Shea sold to Frank Hurst who sold to Stephen Osborne in 2002. Stephen still continues to operate the taxi as a part of the Springwood Taxi Network.